Ever wondered how to get the light and fluffy texture for your pound cakes? One of our best kept secrets is… Greek yoghurt. It’s our life-changing secret weapon to healthier AND tastier baking.
Before we dive into the recipe, here’s why you should use Binda Valley Greek Style Yoghurt in your baking:
- Our Greek style yoghurt is made of whole milk that helps to keep your cakes (or other baked goods) moist. It works the same way as sour cream, which adds moisture and richness to cakes due to its high fat content. However, Greek style yoghurt typically contains fewer calories and less fat than sour cream, and it a healthy substitute that you can use in baking.
- Greek style yoghurt is naturally acidic and activates the baking soda when combined in your mixture. This allows your baked goods to rise and become light and fluffy. It also helps to add a tangy flavour to your cake!
Why not try your first recipe baking with Greek Yoghurt with this simple recipe of Lemon Pound Cake? They are one of our favourite tea cakes – perfect for gatherings, tea parties or even as a dessert after a home cooked dinner.
1/2 cup Binda Valley Greek Style Yoghurt
1½ cups all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cups butter, in room temperature
1½ cups granulated sugar
3 eggs, room temperature
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Juice of 1 lemon
Lemon zest of 1 lemon
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC and grease your loaf/cake pan or line with parchment paper.
2. Mix butter, yoghurt and lemon zest.
3. Slowly add sugar until the mixture is light and fluffy, and thoroughly combined.
4. Add the eggs in one at a time; make sure each egg is fully mixed into the mixture before adding the next.
5. Add lemon juice and vanilla extract.
6. Sift flour, baking soda and salt together and slowly add it to your batter. Remember not to overmix it. You may use a wide spatula and gently fold in the rest of the flour.
7. Bake at 180ºC for 45 minutes
Let it cool completely and enjoy!
Tip: Add a little zest to your pound cake with some sweet lemon yoghurt drizzle! Combine 1 cup of pure icing sugar (sifted) with 2-3 tablespoons of Binda Valley Greek Yoghurt in a medium bowl. Add some lemon juice into the mixture. Drizzle it onto your pound cake and sprinkle in a little lemon zest for the extra oomph!
Binda Valley Greek Style Yoghurt is an award-winning dairy product made in Australia. To find out more about our product, click here.